To mark the near closure of my Rubicon project (end of March), we are hosting a symposium on Wednesday February 21 in Bochum.
We would hereby like to cordially invite you to attend the symposium. Below are the details concerning the program and location. Please feel free to notify any colleagues who might be interested, especially PhD students who might want to bring a poster of their research.
When learning or teaching is mediated by technology, these processes leave digital ‘traces’ of a person’s interaction with the digital system. Those traces can be collected, analyzed and subsequently be used to inform the design of support structures to enhance learning or teaching, an approach captured in the term learning analytics.
At the symposium, case studies will be presented of how to use traces of digital activity to study and support learning and teaching. The symposium therefore offers a chance to discuss challenges and opportunities associated with this particular approach, both conceptually and methodologically.
Date: Wednesday February 21, 2018
Location: Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Building GB (see http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/anreise/).
Titles of talks
- Vincent Aleven (Kenneth Holstein, Franceska Xhakaj, Bruce McLaren), Carnegie Mellon University: “Design and evaluation of teacher support tools for different use scenarios involving intelligent tutoring software”
- Christa Asterhan, Hebrew University of Jerusalem: "The digital footprints of psychological distress on social network sites"
- Tamara van Gog (Margot van Wermeskerken), Utrecht University: “Interpreting visualisations of eye movements”
- Anouschka van Leeuwen (Nikol rummel), Utrecht University/Ruhr-Universität Bochum: “Teacher dashboards in the context of collaborative learning”
Besides attending the invited talks, the audience is welcome to bring a poster of their own research, which can be discussed under the enjoyment of coffee and cake.
- 13.30 – 14:00 Welcome with small lunch
- 14:00 – 15:30 Talks 1 and 2 – Anouschka van Leeuwen and Vincent Aleven
- 15:30 – 16:15 Poster session with coffee and cake
- 16:15 – 17:45 Talks 3 and 4 – Christa Asterhan and Tamara van Gog
- 17:45 – 18:15 Closing discussion
- 18:15 and onwards Dinner in Bochum (near main station) for who wants to join
Attending the symposium is free of charge (except the optional dinner). We do ask you to notify us of participation and whether you intend to bring a poster. Please fill in the following form: https://goo.gl/forms/yl3sAg8XNZa7VJEb2